Friday, September 25, 2009

The School Bus

Chapter 4


Walking a few steps behind Sergeant Anderson towards the patrol car as he had been instructed to do, bus driver Shawn Carlton suddenly felt another massive jolt of panic run through his body. Aside from the fact that a student whom had been placed in his trust by parents and the school district was now missing, it dawned on him that the bus which had now been idling and surrounded by police cars for the last twenty minutes still had thirteen child on board and four stops on the bus route to go.

Driver Carlton asked aloud as he reached the police car, "Sir, what about the other kids on the bus, I'm sure their parents must be wondering where they are and why they are so late." In an angry and direct response, Sergeant Anderson replied, "I'll tell you what, you get in the car like I asked you too and let me worry about the children on the bus."

Climbing in the back of the Red River Valley Police car, Carlton now felt as though the world was closing in on him as the door shut behind him. Alone, as he looked through the bars that separated the back seat from the front, Carlton had two thoughts. What was Sergeant Anderson saying to the other officers as they stood in a circle at the front of the car, and what would happen if Anderson decided to do an outstanding warrants background from the laptop attached to the dashboard.

Ending the discussion with his junior officers, Sergeant Anderson motioned to Wil's mom who by now was back on the phone with her husband asking where he was and how long it would take him to arrive. "Ms. Sims, if I may speak to you for a moment please" said Anderson. "The police want to talk to me, hurry up and get here" concluded Joyce Sims as she disconnected from her husband and gave her full attention to Anderson.

"OK ma'am, here is what we have" started Anderson as he adjusted the thick black belt worn by police officers to holster their weapons, carry handcuffs, and other standard issue gear. "I've got one patrol car that should be at the school any minute to speak with your son's teacher and the school principle." "I've got two more that are searching along the roads from the school to this stop, and another that is at the front gate of the neighborhood."

"Now" continued Sergeant Anderson, "I am going to stay here with you, but I need to send the bus along." "We have quite a few children still on it, and I'm sure their parents are concerned." "Don't be alarmed Ms. Sim's" said Anderson as he reached to gently grab her arm, "I'm going to need the bus driver to complete the route, but I'm going to have one of my officers on the bus with him until the route is complete."

"What!" screamed Wil's mom. "You're going to let him go?" "How can you do that?" she screamed again as she looked over her shoulder to see a police officer and the driver of the bus walking up the slight incline towards the bus. "Ma'am" said Sergeant Anderson, "I have no other choice, we have to get these other children home, Officer Fain will be on the bus until the route is finished." "I'm sorry ma'am, but again, I have no other choice."

"Oh my GOD, Oh my GOD" cried Wil's mom as her voice weakened and trembled. "Where is my son" she said as the bus driver climbed behind the steering wheel, put on his seat belt, shut the door, and drove away in Red River Valley School Bus number 127


ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment